EKU Online Paralegal Science Certificate (Post-Baccalaureate)
Explore the curriculum and course descriptions for the post-baccalaureate certificate. Students with 75 hours or more may begin taking courses toward the certificate. At least 18 hours toward the certificate must be taken after receiving a bachelor’s degree.
REQUIREMENTS: 30-31 HOURS
LAS 210: Introduction to Law (3 hrs)
LAS 220: Legal Research and Writing I (3 hrs)
LAS 300 or 300W: Legal Research and Writing II (3 hrs)
LAS 350: Litigation: Evidence to Discovery (3 hrs)
LAS 355: Litigation: Trial to Appeal (3 hrs)
LAS 410: Paralegal Seminar (3 hrs)
And 12 hours from
LAS 325: Real Estate/Bankruptcy Practice (3 hrs)
LAS 330: Family Law Practice (3 hrs)
LAS 340: Criminal Law Practice and Procedure (3 hrs)
LAS 360: Probate Practice and Procedure (3 hrs)
LAS 370: Corporations and Business Organization Practice (3 hrs)
LAS 380: Administrative Agency Practice (3 hrs)
LAS 385: Legal Administration and Computer Applications (3 hrs)
LAS 399: Paralegal Internship
TOTAL CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS FOR PARALEGAL SCIENCE CERTIFICATE: 30-31
- General study of the purpose, function, and history of law; law-related occupations; court systems; case law analysis; professional ethics; the adversary system; and the major areas of law.
- The sources and techniques of legal research; their application to specific legal problems and the use of legal authority to construct a written legal argument. Prerequisite - 210 or director approval.
- The sources and techniques of advanced legal research and writing, the use of computer-assisted legal research methods and their application.Prerequisite: LAS 220.
- (3 hrs.) Study of legal principles and paralegal practice in substantive civil law. Incorporates procedural aspects of the early stages of civil litigation including evidence and investigation, pleadings, and the discovery/disclosure process. Prerequisites - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Study of legal principles and paralegal practice in substantive civil law. Incorporates procedural aspects of the latter stages of civil litigation including settlement and ADR, trial preparation, trial, post-trial practice, and appeal. Prerequisite - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Professional ethics, analysis of the internship experience, transition to the law office and current issues facing the paralegal profession. Prerequisite - Completion of 18 hours of major (LAS) courses or director approval.
PLUS 12 HOURS FROM:
- Paralegal practice and procedure for general law office; real estate transactions and documents, title searches, title insurance, loan closings, leases, wills, affidavits of descent, foreclosures, and bankruptcy. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- Paralegal practice in family law including forms, documents, and procedures for: marriage, divorce, separation, annulment, alimony, legitimacy of children, custody, adoption, community property, and juvenile law. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- An introduction to criminal law and procedure; criminal law forms and documents, and preparation for criminal litigation using the systems approach. Prerequisite - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Paralegal probate practice including initial steps, asset accumulation, debt management, court procedure, estate-related tax issues and forms. A systems approach will be emphasized. Prerequisite - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Documents, forms, and procedures essential to the corporate paralegal. Development of skills concerning business formations, incorporation, corporate finance, employees, corporate operation, securities, regulatory compliance, merger, acquisitions, sales and terminations. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- Practical paralegal skill development in administrative law and procedure. Forms, documents, pleadings, and techniques for administrative regulatory compliance; case processing; informal and formal administrative advocacy, emphasizing the systems approach. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- Prerequisites - Completion of 18 hours of major (LAS) courses including LAS 300 or director approval. (Prior written application is required).
- The study of law office administration and the utilization of specific law office computer applications. Prerequisites - LAS 220 and CIS 212 or CSC 104 or equivalent.
Gainful Employment-Higher Education Act (78 FR666665 and FR 66832) Disclosure: Estimated program costs for the 31 hour partially online Paralegal Science Certificate ( Post Baccalaureate) are approximately $12,245; seven students completed the program during the most recent reporting years (2010 - 2012); 100 percent of the students completed the program within the normal time (2 years); median loan debt incurred ranged between $8,983-$9,500.