Paralegal Studies Associates Degree Curriculum
Core Courses 37 hours
- LAS 210: Introduction to Law
- LAS 220: Legal Research and Writing I
- LAS 300: Legal Research and Writing II
- LAS 325: Real Estate/Bankruptcy Practice
- LAS 350: Litigation: Evidence to Discovery
- LAS 355: Litigation: Trial to Appeal
- LAS 385: Legal Administration and Computer Applications
- LAS 399: Paralegal Internship
- LAS 410: Paralegal Seminar
And 3 from the following:
- LAS 330: Family Law Practice
- LAS 340: Criminal Law Practice and Procedure
- LAS 360: Probate Practice and Procedure
- LAS 370: Corporations and Business Organization Practice
- LAS 380: Administrative Agency Practice
- LAS 460: Estate Planning and Procedure
Free Electives 2 hours
- LAS 305/405: Paralegal Evidence and Trial Skills
EKU General Education Requirements 25 hours
(See catalog for details.)
Total Hours Required for Degree Completion 64 hours
For a full list of course descriptions please see section 7 of the university undergraduate catalog.
- Auser’s approach to understanding financial accounting and reporting, emphasizing how creditors, investors, and others use accounting information in decision making and why financial accounting information is important to these users. Prerequisite - MAT105 or higher.
- Introductory course in principles of effective writing for professions and technical fields. Experience in writing with technology for various purposes and audiences relevant to students’ career interests. Special sections arranged in cooperation with professional programs. Prerequisite - ENG 102 or 105 or HON 102.
- General study of the purpose, function, and history of law; law-related occupations; court systems; case law analysis; professional ethics; the adversary system; and the major areas of law.
- The sources and techniques of legal research; their application to specific legal problems and the use of legal authority to construct a written legal argument. Prerequisite - LAS 210 or director approval.
- The sources and techniques of advanced legal research and writing, the use of computer-assisted legal research methods and their application. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- Paralegal practice and procedure for general law office; real estate transactions and documents, title searches, title insurance, loan closings, leases, wills, affidavits of descent, foreclosures, and bankruptcy. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- Paralegal practice in family law including forms, documents, and procedures for: marriage, divorce, separation, annulment, alimony, legitimacy of children, custody, adoption, community property, and juvenile law. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- An introduction to criminal law and procedure; criminal law forms and documents, and preparation for criminal litigation using the systems approach. Prerequisite - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Study of legal principles and paralegal practice in substantive civil law. Incorporates procedural aspects of the early stages of civil litigation including evidence and investigation, pleadings, and the discovery/disclosure process. Prerequisites - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Study of legal principles and paralegal practice in substantive civil law. Incorporates procedural aspects of the latter stages of civil litigation including settlement and ADR, trial preparation, trial, post-trial practice, and appeal. Prerequisite - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Paralegal probate practice including initial steps, asset accumulation, debt management, court procedure, estate-related tax issues and forms. A systems approach will be emphasized. Prerequisite - LAS 220 or director approval.
- Documents, forms, and procedures essential to the corporate paralegal. Development of skills concerning business formations, incorporation, corporate finance, employees, corporate operation, securities, regulatory compliance, merger, acquisitions, sales and terminations. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- Practical paralegal skill development in administrative law and procedure. Forms, documents, pleadings, and techniques for administrative regulatory compliance; case processing; informal and formal administrative advocacy, emphasizing the systems approach. Prerequisite - LAS 220.
- The study of law office administration and the utilization of specific law office computer applications. Prerequisites - LAS 220 and CIS 212 or CSC 104 or equivalent.
- Prerequisites - Completion of 18 hours of major (LAS) courses including LAS 300 or director approval. (Prior written application is required).
- Professional ethics, analysis of the internship experience, transition to the law office and current issues facing the paralegal profession. Prerequisites - Completion of 18 hours of major (LAS) courses or director approval.
- The study of law, forms, documents, and procedures essential to the paralegal involved in the drafting of wills, trusts, and estate plans. The systems approach will be emphasized. Prerequisite - LAS 360 or director approval.
- Principles, functions, and basic political institutions of the American system of government at the national level. Gen. Ed. VB, VC, or VII (SBS).